Monday, January 31, 2011

Old Politics

I am always amazed at the hullabaloo that goes on in an instant when there is some one thing on going that we do not agree with and then silence as if the problem never existed. We do not hear about the mosque that was to be built near ground zero and the reporters have gone on to bigger and better, or maybe more politically correct problems of the moment.
Unemployment is still in the news and the promises are being spoken of, but for those out of work it is an endless nightmare of bills piling up, home loses and a short step to starvation.

The attitude seems to have changed since the November vote and we are not hearing as much rhetoric about 'change' but just found out that what is being said is one thing, but what is being done is another. I just got my statement about my income for the next year and believe it or not, although the President signed the bill saying there would be no tax increase this year . . . there is. My income tax was increased by thirty dollars and the medical went up twelve . . . so much for what is being said and what is being done. We have no recourse. I will write my representatives and have my say, but I doubt it will do much good. I've been around the horn several times about the Government Pension Offset Bill of 1983 when they penalized the government workers for working for the government. Believe it, they did and they would not revoke the unjust law because it would be costly. . . so send two billion a year to another country and make the rich richer and the poor poorer. Oh yeah, I am on my soap box this morning.
We taught our children values, honor, and your handshake meant what you said. We taught them to be good citizens and to respect the flag, the American Way and they have grown up to see for themselves that things are not as they should be or could be as our own President says one things and does another. I had no problem working for a living and paying my income tax. I am now retired and depend on my earned retirement income to exist and would not have a word to say if I had to pay a little more in income tax if it was to help get us back on our feet. I am sure a lot of retirees feel that way, but to be sideswiped and lied to makes it unjust, unfair and unpalatable.
So today, be sure you check your salary slips and see what has happened in your area of income tax. Hopefully you wont find a surprise and lose some of your hard earned money. We are in a big financial mess and it doesn't seem to get better, maybe you have a better chance if you are not a former civil servant. There has been a lot said about the civil servants over the years but the public has never been aware of the times that they have had to 'bail' out Social Security or do without their raises , like now two years of no cola raise . . . yeah, 'life isn't fair' but our Government Officials should be. I wonder if they got the same percentage raised in their taxes and did they get a raise? Well it is 'do as I say, not as I do' kind of Government and I am not happy with the results. So with a grin and bear it attitude, I am off to write my Congressman.
Make your today as good as you can, it's Monday . . . work hard to pay your taxes and remember all of this when it comes time to vote . . . some change should stay in the pocket of those that work for it. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment