Monday, January 10, 2011

New, Old and Inbetween









Good morning. I hope you enjoy the copies of the work of Paul Smith (9-21-1921---6-21-2007) who was born with spastic cerebral palsy and taught himself to be a master artist and a chess player. The pictures above are all done on a typewriter using the top number keys (@#$%^&*( )). They resemble pencil, pen and ink sketches or charcoal but are not. What a gift, what talent and what a remarkable man to accept the cross given to him and make it into a small miracle. How much I admire the faith, the hope and the tenacity to overcome such an affliction. Truly a model for all.
I opened one of my Christmas gifts this morning. Sharon Guinn, who is a talented artist in her own right, and I discovered in more than one area, gave me a gift from her kitchen and it turned out to be one of the most delectable tastes I have had in a long while. I don't know what berry she used to make her jam but I wrote to thank her and said I'd like to order a dozen jars. It truly is delicious. All I can tell you is that I didn't think to open it when the family was about . . . a good thing or they would have devoured it and I wouldn't be bragging about it this morning. Jo brought some dandelion jelly that is also very tasty and almost a clear light lemon shade and has a smooth taste. I have had dandelion wine but never jelly, so our famous weed is good for more than decorating the front lawn. I have La Verne's famous fruit cake to open yet. She spends months in dousing them in brandy and it does make a difference in the taste of the cake. Isn't that strange? Yeah!! I gave one very small one away and La Verne had a fit until I told her my friend only liked her fruit cake and that smooth the troubled waters. She may even put my friend on her Christmas list as not many people are true lovers of fruit cake. I do not understand why not as it is really very, very, very, delicious complete with all the tuttie fruits inside. So you know I have a very large one to devour this year and I could be talked into sharing a very small piece.
So today open those homemade gifts and be surprised as the taste buds pop up and ask for more. Enjoy the fruits of the labor of loving hands. I still have one present coming that some company did not remember to mail out and I am curious but have to wait. What could it be? I have no idea, but tune in and I'll tell you when and if I do get it. Some years Christmas lasts a lot longer than you think it will. Make your seconds count. Do something 'out of the blue' today, maybe a verbal hug to someone who is hoping to hear just from you. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment