Saturday, January 8, 2011

Depession Days
















Pictures from 1935-1939; Depression Years. We lived through them and got back on our feet after a long and hard struggle. Each family had stories to tell of survival. My story of "Pearl's Journal"related some of the tales of the time. I remember the neighbors and the sharing that went on as each family kept a 'weather-eye' on the other. We were well off in comparison to some as we had gardens and folks knew how to make one smoke shoulder feed the family for the entire week. As children we didn't know we were poor. We have come a long way since those days, but right now we are in a slump and once again have to work our way out of it. There are so many people suffering, not knowing how to survive. The 'me' generation are about to learn a very hard life lesson. I hope they are smart enough to band together and help each other out. It is a time for prayer and a time to share.
As for me, I had a day to be depressed as a two inch slit in a plastic pipe gave way under the house and started to make the back yard look like I had put in a new pool. I admit to having a hearing problem but refuse to spend thousands of dollars on hearing aids. I prefer my selective hearing much to the annoyance of my children. I didn't hear it. I still didn't hear it when my daughter told me she did. Lucky for me, although it was close to the floor boards, the spurting went downward and flowed like it thought it should. The plumber came right away and before long he had the water off, the pipe piece taken out and replacements made and all is well. I called the Water company and they will make an adjustment on the bill. Of course this has led to the fact the pipes should be replaced as this particular pipe is now involved in a class action suit. It seems it has been used in mobile homes for many years and the complains are mounting as the pipe is not holding up. Rats and mice think it is candy and love to chew on it and I learned that they also devour the rat poison and then crawl up in the batting and die leaving an aroma that is not "Beautiful". Now I have to find a construction outfit to come and give me an estimate on changing out the insulation and/or repacking it and sealing it off so the creatures can't get into it. I've lived through three sessions of the 'dying rodent' and believe me it is not fun. So the plumber will come back and change the piping throughout and the contractor will fix the rest , then maybe, just maybe I wont have to worry about running water again. Oh to find one who has reasonable prices and the time to make things 'perfect'.
So today, I hope you have a good day, all day . . . and nothing happens to surprise you, unless, of course, it is an invitation to dine out or friends drop by to enjoy your company. If you are close by, stop in, I have running water . . . in the pipes . . . well, you could slosh in the back yard if you wanted to but I would not recommend it. Smile, today is a great day to smile. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment