Friday, January 7, 2011

TGIF


The first week of January, 2011 has gone bye already and our weather was clear and crisp, nothing to complain about as my neighbors were doing a bit of yard work, even me, although that one weed I pulled isn't going to do it. I had better things to do. I invited my next door neighbor out for a birthday lunch. I had forgotten to mark my calender and her special day went by without a nod. We went over to Pancho's and had the fish tacos which are the very best and most delicious in town. La Verne enjoyed every bite and then I had to introduce her to a few new little shops which she had not been to. We have a new shop called "Sweet Pea" and it is filled with antiques and yard sale items of good quality and not a bad price. When I shopped there before Christmas I was told they were adding a tea room but I had no idea they were already opened. The tables are round and have full length table cloths and cloth napkins. The three ladies were having a discussion about menus and they told us what they had served . . . wished we had known as we could have had lunch there. Maybe next time. We went on to the "Bird Store" and it is a delightful shop. They have so many yard objects that are whimsical and different. They have a rain spout called a rain chain made out of tea cups, very unusual and works just like the regular spouts. I would like to have bought one for my daughter Christine but the price is a bit higher than I can afford. They had a cement stool that was shaped like books . . . um, she'd like that too. Be the shipping price would be terrific. The new cards were really beautiful and when you open the card the sound of the bird pictured on the front comes to life and you hear the call as if the bird was right there. $9.95 each so I wont be sending any out soon but I did think it would be fun to send you one. It was fun to browse.
We drove back home to find our neighbor out pulling weeds from the crack in the cement. I need to do that . . . some day . . . so I walked over to say hello to Lisa and she stopped to offer me a cup of tea. I have refused so many times, I thought I had better have a cup of tea with her and I went inside to see her immaculate house. This little woman is a bundle of energy and nothing is left undone. Her porch is like brand new and her hard work and routine never varies. She walks out every day, rain or shine and is a woman with an altruistic nature as she helps those who are less fortunate. She has had a hard life and work is what she knows best. She is more prone to talk than listen and has a way of repeating the same stories over and over. The sad fact is that she is misunderstood and the other neighbors pull back. We have three new neighbors this year so it will be interesting to see how they interact with each other and us. It is a quiet neighborhood for the most part but a little friendliness wouldn't hurt a bit.
So today, when you go outside for your mail and meet a neighbor, greet them with a smile and let them know you are glad you are neighbors. It is nice to have someone to keep an eye on your place when you are away, or be friendly enough to pick something up at the store, or if you borrowed a cup of sugar then bring over a nice piece of cake or a cookie you have baked. The hand of neighborly friendship goes a long way in making life brighter. Be a good neighbor and for heavens sake accept the fact that not one of us is perfect . . . a ten . . . why I don't think I've made it to six yet. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment