Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tradition Has It . . .

Sunday morning, the day after Christmas, and because of the weather we missed seeing the solar eclipse. Here is a picture son John took up there in Alaska where they had 'front row seats'. My but it is dark up there. Here it is raining so I am not rushing out the door to any day after Christmas shopping . . . are you?



Pat and Erin drove over to Medford to pick up our weary travelers and made a Costco run at the same time. I have no room in my pantry or in my refrigerator which will make for 'tough' going to shed a few pounds of excessive 'sugar' from my system. A certain couple, I won't mention by name, sent chocolates, and, I mean boxes of different kinds, more to tempt the taste buds beyond measure, and a box of puzzles which will keep me going for months to come . . . but the piece of resistance was the unexpected telephone call from them and hearing their voices on Christmas day . . . such a wonderful surprise. Speaking of calls Mike made it up to friends in Lake Tahoe where they got seventeen feet of snow and he said it rained so the snow was down to four or five feet . . . geesh . . . but he and his friend went up for the annual tamale Christmas eve feast and enjoyed every minute of their visit. Yesterday they were cooking up a Prime Rib and friends were coming to help them eat it, so all my worries about him being all by himself were for naught . . . he was a happy man. Christine called and had her niece with her and plans to go out to dinner to her friends home after making the rounds of Christmas visits. She has had a flu that had her down for weeks but, although she still sounded nasal, she was feeling a lot better and ready to celebrate the holiday. So, one more not to worry about, and I am happy they are healthy and content.


Here Pat came in with her fresh baked kiesch filled with hot peppers to awaken the taste buds. We had fresh fruits and different home made breads and three new kinds of jam to taste. Dandelion, Cherry and home made Oregon berry jam, all delicious with a bit of cream cheese. Our traditional holiday meal is usually a big fat turkey with all the trimmings but this year we opted for one of those special spiral hams and it was delicious as was the Hubbard squash and the green bean casserole . . . what a difference to use fresh green beans instead of the frozen french style. See, never to old to try something new. Pat snuck in a turkey breast too and Erin made stuffing so that will be attacked in depth today as we really ran out of room . . . but only for a short while as the pies were heating in the oven and you cannot have Christmas without apple and mince pie. I found out Jo loves pumpkin and it is the first holiday I haven't made one in years. We played some new card games which were fun and a few of the old standbys. I haven't played Yatzee in years and it was fun. Sharon's new record is beautiful and she does have such a lovely voice. I finally got to see the end of "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas", believe it has taken me a couple of years to see the entire movie. Everyone was happy with their gifts and I am sporting two new 'skinny' sweaters which are almost impossible to find anymore. Erin went snooping around and knows just where to shop. Pat was to good to me and I have not one but two bottles of Halston, my favorite scent which Pat has to really hunt for every year. I have a gift coming from John and Jo so Christmas isn't over yet. Oh there is more but the best gift was the hugs and the love . . . how special it is when family and friends can share some time relaxed and happy in each others company . . . seems to me it should happen more often . . . see, give me an inch and I want a mile. Hugs, hugs, you just cannot get enough of them . . . at least twelve a day . . . don't be stingy . . . share!


I will have pictures to show off before the week is off. Some have come through but I cannot get them to show, so have to wait until they are sent as attachments then I can share them with all of you. If you have time, write and share your holiday news with me. I love my cards, I love my gifts, I love my hugs . . . so what can I say . . . I love each and everyone of you. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment