Monday, December 13, 2010

Soar Like the Eagle

The symbol of freedom, a beautiful bird, strong, self sufficient, protective and knows how to fish for its own food and the picture made me wonder who chose the eagle as a symbol for our nation, maybe one of our forefather's who was a hunter and admired the tenacity of the huge bird. It could have been a turkey and we all know what happens to turkeys. Right now with crowded stores filled with shoppers worrying about what to buy for their friends and neighbors I came across a poem I wrote about Christmas. My, I got carried away as I wrote eleven stanzas trying to tell a story that has been told over and over again, but I managed to end with a few words that reminded me about its beginnings.

"The stars sparkled in multicolored lights. The trees of green shimmered the color of the sea; The heavenly choir voices swelled in happy cacophony; the harpsichord filled the air; the flute sang very sweet; the drums tattooed softly to the camels feet. Centuries have passed; sand pebbles are still there; palm fronds and fir trees, reminders everywhere. Each December twenty-fifth, we renew our faith, and make our homes a festive place to still receive His grace."

Last evening I sat in my easy chair and turned on the PBS station to watch a special program which turned out to be one of the best shows I have seen in a very long time. Andre Botticelli sang from his heart all of the Christmas hymns and songs that brought back memories along with tears and laughter. He sang with Natalie Cole and Reba McIntyre and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I had a chance to visit that great hall where the acoustics are perfect and wished, at the time, that there had been a practice ongoing for the choir members instead of just being able to see a beautiful room. Well, last evening there was a clip of the visit to that room and it was filled with the choir members and Andre Botticelli,who raised his voice in praise and sang his heart out. Hopefully it will become a tradition and will replay every year. Such a talent, reminded me of the eagle soaring to great heights.


So today, step outside and breathe the fresh air. Get your daily work finished knowing you have done your best today. If you can't find a gift for that special friend, stop off at the music store and see if by any chance they have Andre Botticelli 's Christmas DVD and buy two, one for yourself and one for your friend. . . believe me you will be glad you did. Make merry today for a smile will lift your spirits. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment