Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Favorite Place

Newport, Rhode Island. Once upon a time, back in 1944, I was introduced to this small Atlantic sea coast town and the wonderful Sullivan family that I was going to be a part of, although I had no idea there were so many of them, and if I would be accepted or rejected. It didn't take long to find favorite places and Kings Park was one of them. I loved the cobble stone Thames Street and the visit to the small shops where a Sullivan cousin or two made you feel welcome. One of my first purchases was a pen and ink sketch of Newport which still hangs on a wall in my daughter's home.
This beautiful home, well built and so attractive with its glassed in front porch, belongs to a Sullivan cousin, Kay Martin, who instigated these pictures yesterday, when out of the blue she sent me an e-mail saying she remembered I hoped when she and her sister, Pauline, went out and about, they would take pictures around town and send me 'memories.' How blessed I am and although we had a few minor problems getting through on our different computers, our expert cousin, Walter, came to the rescue. What fun I had for several hours as we went back and forth and all of the pictures came through.

Here is Jimmy, Kay's son, a handsome young man. He has a lot of Sullivan genes as that smile is very familiar. The strange and wonderful mystery is that I have never met these cousins personally, with the exception of meeting Pauline when she was about nineteen and it had to be fast as I really do not remember. Pauline and I are pen pals, good friends and have daily correspondence now. She is the family historian and her tales of family life way back when are marvelous. How fortunate I am now to remain a part of this family. See, I told you there was a lot of family and cousins are a very important part.


Here is Meagan, Walter's daughter, bright and beautiful with a whole new world ahead of her. This close up took awhile to get through. At first only the hands came through and I wasn't sure what I was looking at, but Walter prevailed and here is his beautiful daughter with twinkling eyes and that Sullivan smile. A winner for sure.


This is another picture of Meagan sitting on the front porch catching a few sunbeams. If I am not mistaken she is sittiing on the front porch of Pauline's home. Isn't that a great entrance door, reminds me a bit of Colonial style. Dublin is famed for its doors, but I think this one rates right up there.



Pathways to walk, people to greet, yes, Kings Park on a summer day, what more could you ask for?





The band stand. I don't remember a band stand when I lived in Newport, but it is a very good idea. I would love to sit outdoors on a summer evening and listen to the band play. I don't remember the apartments in the back ground either. So many changes, so much growth in one way and still Newport remains much the same, yet if I were to visit tomorrow I am sure there would be new and different places for me to visit. It was in one of the shops that I purchased a book called "Ask No Quarter", and I have forgotten the author, but it was a story about the early history of Newport and pirates. It was a great story and my husband gave it to someone and I was upset as I wanted it as a keeper. It took me ten years to find it in a book store, only to loan it out and never get back. Maybe the pirates don't want me to know much about them and their stay around the Newport waters.





How could you not find peace and serenity here. Walter tells me this is a 'stitch' photo. There is a special program that takes your picture and makes it into something beautiful. I really do not understand the process but I do understand the beauty and outcome of the photograph.
So today, I am thanking my Newport cousins for sharing the pictures, the words and the time. I'm smiling as I still have 'family in Newport.' It is Saturday, all day, shop 'til you drop and get the Christmas gifts bought and wrapped it is only one week away......one week....egad, I'm not ready!!!! Go carefully, stay healthy and happy and share a hug or two today. Hugs to all.







AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!








No comments:

Post a Comment