Saturday, December 4, 2010

Moods and Moments

My friend sent this to me a few days back and I have to laugh as I do have some friends with 'this' attitude. I would be lost without e-mail and being in touch with family and friends. The talented man who writes all of the Maxine quips must have a tremendous sense of humor, at least one that I can acquaint with. I have a new Advent calendar, a first for me, and it is all Maxine. She is about to make comments on a daily basis about the adventures of getting ready for Christmas. She started off with "Santa Claus is comin'to town! Oh, great. . . another big eater dropin' by my house over the holidays." How sad she would be if they didn't show up. I am expecting a few big eaters to come to my house and I can hardly wait. It is time to cut up the real cranberries and get the breads made. They make wonderful gifts and there is no fat in them. The recipe came from a great cook, an old timer who has gone to her reward but never far from my heart and mind.

Cranberry Bread: 3 cups of flour; 1 cup of sugar; 4 teaspoons of baking powder; 1 teaspoon of salt; 1 cup of cut in half real cranberries; 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or 2 tablespoons of orange juice; 1 egg; 1-1/4 cup of milk. Mix together until all blended. Put in two bread pans and bake at 325 degree oven for 40 minutes.

If you want to use the smaller tinfoil pans you can get four loaves. There are some new foil pans out this year with covers, so you bake the cakes and cover them, or put the cakes in the covers as they are clear plastic and re use the pans to make more bread.

You will be enjoying cranberry bread toast for days and enjoying every bite. Marmalade is good, marionberry is even better, but then you may have your own favorite jelly or jam. Just enjoy.


Here is a smart way to keep your beer cold....ha...ha.....all you need is a huge snow storm to back up into your doorway. How come we never thought of that when we were living back in New England with one snow storm after another. I remember we had a French family on our street housing a league of nations, and the father use to make a special Christmas candy and after boiling it for a time, he would take it outside and throw it into a snow bank making instant candy that was delicious. Wish I had that recipe to give you , probably from one of the taffy families.



So today, whatever you choose to make for you upcoming holidays, do it with a musical back ground you can sing to. Lift up your voices and let yourself go, it really makes you feel great. Have fun, laugh out loud and bake. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment