Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Land Line

I lost all the notes I made . . . Oh well, all I can tell you about this car is that it is the most expensive car ever built and is housed in a room all its own in a museum in Arizona. The car sold for a whopping three million, twenty four hundred thousand dollars and is the only one of its kind. The story line told about two automobile companies playing the 'one up' game and this car lost out and was stored in boxes in bits and pieces for many years. It was finally 'rebuilt' and put up at a special auction. Looks like we all lost out and could have bought one of these to run around in . . . wonder what the going price would have been.




Well, yesterday was telephone day. I ran out of Christmas cards to write catch up notes for long ago friends. They do not have computers so I can't send an e-card to them. I got out my telephone book and looked up the number for my friend, Mary Kay, who lives in
Maryland and was very disappointed when there was no answer. About fifteen minutes later my phone rang and it was Mary. She has caller ID and was curious as to who was calling her. We had a delightful phone visit and caught up a bit, and wished we could have a reunion, but the distance is great and we octogenarians are not up to long trips anymore. I am willing but the feet are not.

We have a history and so many tales to tell about our lives when we were very young with new babies and husbands that worked nights as Linotype operators for the local newspaper. They worked weekends and holidays so our social meeting was always on a Monday night. We took turns as hostess and cooked up the main course while everyone else brought a dish to balance out some of the most delicious meals you would ever want to eat. Mary is a harpist and she would play for us. Aah, memories, good ones, especially the picnics at the park, or the beach.


There is one story I have repeated so many times over the years that still brings tears to my eyes as I laughed so hard when the event occurred. We had plans to picnic on the beach and have a real clam bake and the men set up the fire, the huge pan was placed on the fire with all the goodies inside. Why our friend Bob, from Michigan, was put in charge of the fire I have no idea as he was not used to cooking, much less on a beach and open fire. We never found out just what happened but all of a sudden we are looking a an overturned pot, steam rising into the air and dinner lost to the sands of the beach. The babies crying, the dog scratching up sand and the packing up as the sun went in and the wind came up. We trailed to the cars and back to Mary and Russ' house. We bathed the babies in Mary's kitchen sink, fed them and settled them down as we waited to eat our hot dogs and beans before heading home. I can still see in my minds eye the bedraggled parade as we plowed through the sands with indescribable expressions and believe me they didn't think it was funny . . .


My next call was to Nevada. I have a couple that I am so very fond of and have spent some fun times with. Berta is a fighter and has had some very serious illnesses over the last few years. She is on dialysis which is struggle enough but it was followed by a stroke and is in a convalescent home. I now know why the e mail address was no longer good. I now know I wish I had followed up on the whys. So tonight I will call and give her a verbal hug. She sure can use one.


So today, when you are out and about, healthy and happy as you prepare for the holidays, give a little thought to the people in your lives...family, friends . . . even a new acquaintance you hope to develop a friendship with, and find out what is going on in their lives, for they may be traveling a rough road and need the hug of friendship . . . come to think of it . . . don't we all? Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment