Friday, December 31, 2010

My Special Family

Violette with the apple cheeks and smiling eyes.
Great Grandchildren are even more of a blessing.

Grandmother Sue and her snow men.


A very, very long time ago I was introduced to George and Violette Barrette who had three children, a beautiful big "Home Beautiful" house with a big fireplace, a spinning wheel and two wing back chairs that I can see in my mind as if it were yesterday and I was visiting. George was kind, laid back, and in love with his wife whom he called 'sweets'. He took my husband under his wing and helped him to become a journeyman in his trade. Violette made homemade blueberry muffins and I still use her recipe after all of the time gone by. They had three children and, at that time, we did too, so it was to be that we spent many happy hours together for picnics in their big back yard. Violette was someone I looked up to and wanted to emulate. We became pen pals after I moved away and for the next sixty years we wrote letters in long hand and told the tales of family living. There were pages to read, some with laughter, some with tears. Both George and Violette have gone on to their reward and it was difficult to lose them, but, being the kind of people they were they brought up their children to be as loving as they were. I am very fortunate as Suzanne, their oldest daughter, picked up her pen and she and I have stayed close over the years. She is now a grandmother and the pictures of the children today are the great-grand children of Violette and George. There is continuity to life, isn't it wonderful?
So today, I hope you are lucky enough to realize that it takes 'two to tango' and if you pick up your lap top or your newest gadget to contact someone, you will take the time to develop a warm and loving friendship that will sustain you for many years to come. I love having people in my life, especially those of my extended families, I just wish they were not so far away. E-mail is a boon though, as you can see, as pictures and words arrive to keep you close. So today, my thanks to Sue for being the caring and sharing person she is; it's no wonder I love her. Make your day a good one as you get ready to see the old year out . . . good riddance, maybe the new one will be better for each and everyone of us. The world is dark but not if you light a candle to show you the way.....Friday....New Year's Eve . . . Happy New Year. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment