Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Taster



How to start your day off with a smile. The owner of this puppy was not the least bit shy about letting the puppy explore the table top as she was making Christmas cookies. How she must have laughed to see the new puppy taste the batter and find it to her liking. It seems it proved to be more than finger licking good. In for a penny or in for a pound this puppy is no dummy. It was good her owner had her camera ready and willing to share the pictures, and I am betting she had as much fun bathing this little frosting queen beauty. It just goes to show what a little sense of fun is all about.
How about you? Are you baking cookies and other goodies for the holidays? I made the usual peanut butter cookies this year which are usually just rounds and not very colorful but delicious. Somewhere I read that you can dip the cookies in crushed peanuts and what a difference that made in their appearance and I might add, to the taste. So try it and see if you like your peanut butter cookies that way. The molasses cookies are made and added to the big tin box hidden away in the closet. I know they are there and I am tempted, but if I eat them all, I'll just have to bake more. The six wine cakes I made are already gone as friends come in to say hello before they leave town for family celebrations. I have to make a few more but must stop off for more creme of sherry wine. Meanwhile the cranberry breads are done. I don't dare make anymore as I love it and manage to breakfast on one for several days and want more. Very tasty toasted with a bit of marmalade. For someone who was not going to make any goodies this year, I seem to be on a roll. It must be habit, that is all I can figure out. I like to cook. I'm used to cooking so it is not a big deal, but . . . and there is always a but . . . as an octogenarian I am slipping, the hands don't want to work like they did. The legs don't want to stay standing that long and the finished product is not as it 'used to be' . . . a good excuse not to bake and cook, but it is all in the mind as the heart wants to keep doing all of those things it 'used to' do, and it is still a time to stick your finger in the bowl and 'jump right in".
So today, if your close by know I have cookies hidden in the closet ready to send home with you. If you haven't started to make your treats yet, think about stopping by and picking up the ingredients, or even the ready made, and get out in your kitchen and bake. Your house becomes a home and your heart will melt along with the first bite of a cookie just out of the oven. I blame my Irish grandmother for my round girth, but if the truth be known, I really am a cookie monster, so join me and have some fun, you know it is good for you. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment