Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rocks

The beginning of what I hope will be a real true Irish rock wall . . . okay, I do have a way to go.
the front rocks with my short cut path to the mailbox across the street. It was not the best idea I had as I walk out with a cane, but it made an easier path for the resident deer to get to my rhodys.




I have hopes of building a rock wall in my back garden area one of these days, but so far I have only been able to carry one rock at a time from the front area into the back area and my wall is pretty lopsided and not very high. I have to learn how to 'chink' and so far I haven't been able to do it the right way so my wall is lopsided and very picturesque, even if I do say so myself.






I grinned when I saw the tiny rock chinked into the big rock as if it were holding it up. If that is all it took then I would be a master artist in building my little rock wall. You do have to admit it has some beauty to it as the rocks themselves have a beauty all their own. Some of my rocks came from a 'load' I ordered and the first load was like pebbles and mid sized rocks of all colors. The second load was 'washed' rocks and they were much larger and heavier and not at all what should have been ordered for a front garden. The things I did to get rid of mowing a large grassy area . . . live and learn . . . boy, would I do it differently today. I'd call in someone who knew what they were doing. You just haven't lived until you try to chase the weeds out from under the rocks as the long tendrils of root spreads and thrives. But . . . I love rocks and each one is as different as the people on our earth. They are all colors and all sizes with a beauty all their own. Some are smooth and round like a worry stone and feel good in your hands. Some have streaks of crystal or another mineral that gives them a color all their own. You can holdup an agate to the sunlight and see through it. I particularly like the ones with pictures within as you let them tell you a story all its own. Just a rock lover at heart . . . what more can I say,as some are smooth as a loving friend or rough as a sworn enemy. Each one different. Each one wanting someone to pick them up and skip them over a lake, or offer the challenge of a good climb.








So today, when you are walking out, take time to look at the small pebbles and the larger rocks in your area. Pick them up and hold them and if you are lucky and find a crystal you can warm it in your hands and feel the love and life of our earth. Look for that flat round rock to use for a worry stone and I guarantee you will find comfort just holding a smooth flat rock in your hand. It doesn't hurt a bit and I assure you it works like a magic charm. Hugs to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment