Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Trees and Valentines







There was no caption on the pictures of the trees. It looks, to me, like the pictures were taken many years ago at a lumber camp. My guess is that they are redwoods from the size of them and we have a whole forest of them in both Oregon and California. People come from all over the world to spend time among the redwoods. Their size and girth are amazing. They grow to be over three hundred feet tall and when you walk into the forest it is like walking among giants in peace and serenity.
Just imagine these men felling the trees. It was no easy task and very dangerous. It was one of the ways to make a living and as long as they had work to do it didn't seem to matter if it was rough, tough and a nasty job . . . it was a job . I wonder if the old CCC's of the forties were included in the clearing of the forests of America. Camps were set up and the men went out for months and the small pay they made helped in keeping families from starving through the Great Depression. My brother went off to one of the camps and used to send me some bark from the trees. It could be used to make cards or even a Valentine or two, but I was not old enough to have an artistic talent to do something with the bark. I think I took it to school on Valentine's Day to show it off.
Speaking of Valentine Day, which is coming up fast, it made me think of the big carton box that sat in front of the teacher's desk covered with bright red paper and a slit to put in the valentines we brought to school. It was exciting to be called on to come and get a valentine. Everybody got one at least, and some more, but that didn't matter. What did matter was the one that you got and the little box of candy hearts with sayings made the day very special.
I walked over to the big Fred Meyer store yesterday and looked over the Valentines. I had already bought a few and I send some through the computer, but I needed on more for a friend who does not have a computer. I found one I thought was a perfect fit for this wonderful person but when I turned it over to see it cost $5.49, I put it back. There is no reason on earth that a Valentine should cost that much. I could have bought it but I was not about to encourage the card companies to indulge in their greed. I'd rather make a personal phone call or send a special note upon which I could draw hearts to my content and write a poem too. How Wall Street has come to spoil all of our holidays and we let them get away with it...shame on us. So don't go out and spend your hard earned money on expensive valentines; sit down and write a note and draw hearts with messages within, or pick up the phone, tweak or twitter but let the five dollar Valentines go back to the company .
So today, shop carefully, do not be pressured into buying a plain valentine, without even a bit of lace, for over five dollars, that is ludicrous . . . where is my soap box? Well, you can get on one of your own. It is Hump Day, mid-week, two days to the weekend and I have a friend who will be celebrating her birthday . . . wonder if there is a Valentine with birthday greetings in it? . . . guess I'll have to look so I can get a two for one greeting, but not if it cost five dollars or more. . . no way. I'll call and sing . . . what do you mean she wont answer her phone !!! Go, buy some Valentines but leave the expensive ones sitting there so the companies will get our message . . . join the tea party of over priced cards . . . I'm president. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment