Saturday, November 20, 2010

Time Goes By

Granddaughter Erin is about to celebrate a birthday and her mother is joining her for fun and festivities in the big city. I would love to be a part of the celebration but grandmother's have a way of slowing down and the fun is to sit back and participate in an easy chair while they do all the walking and the hiking up those hills of San Francisco, besides it is alone time for them . . . to build memories for the next generation.

Pauline asked about our beaches after my little soiree with the sneaker wave. This is a scene at the port and if you notice there are people walking along the edge of the hard sand nearest the water and a child behind them in the surf. This is a prime example of how a sneaker wave can pull a child in or older folks as well as the surf is thunderous and the sneaker waves come in without warning. I go to watch the water and look for whales passing by, and often have to leave the area as I see the children playing and the parents far away from them. I cannot stand the feeling that something tragic could happen and I want to stand up and yell.
This is a picture of my granddaughter when she was three years old. Her mother took her to a small band concert in a park and the musicians had set up and started the beat of the drum and Erin's feet went right along. Pat took the pictures and later I cut them out and put them into a collage showing Erin hearing the music, heading for center stage and dancing to the beat of the music. She hasn't changed much and now with this new year coming on she is still dancing and making a big difference in her world.


Aah . . . beauty at its best. Son John and his friend Jo are about to embark on a trip to Fairbanks, Alaska and hopefully see the display that nature puts on in the northern skies. I was invited to join them but, again, age is catching up with the legs and the ability to walk around or climb or just get up out of a chair is a task and a half. I'm not complaining as it took many years to get to this point and I've done my best to wear out the body slowly but surely, yet, the heart and minds says 'you can do it' and I probably could make the effort but at the expense of holding the others back from having the time of their lives. I am entering a new phase of 'octogenarism' and it is an interesting one. So I will live vicariously through the travelers and enjoy the words and pictures as they unfold and swear under my breath for getting so old . . . um . . . better not say that out loud as it sure beats the alternative.
So today, the wonderful Saturday of your week with a Sunday following and no work. . . not even in the yard as the weather changes to winter wonderlands. Harry Potter movie is playing and that should be something to see. I'm going to wait for the DVD but you don't have to...GO....enjoy and spend a Saturday afternoon in the movies with the biggest box of popcorn you can buy. Hugs to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment