Friday, November 26, 2010

Burp!!!!!


Good "Black" Friday morning, the day after the food binge of yesterday and what a binge it was. The delightful and beautiful picture was painted by my friend Sharon Guinn.
I was thinking this morning that I have probably missed only two, or maybe three, Thanksgiving days when I was free of kitchen duties. Baking and stuffing a turkey was what we did and when 'the' day came and family gathered it was such a wonderful feeling to see all the food disappear with a grateful sigh. In fact we fixed a complete turkey dinner for all three holidays and enjoyed every minute of it.
Yesterday, I joined Peat and Darlene for Thanksgiving dinner at O'Hallaran's restaurant and have to admit that it is not one of my favorite eating spots . . . but yesterday they proved me wrong as the special turkey dinner was everything it should be. The service was exceptional and nothing was missing from the traditional feast starting with a salad, hot bread, slices of thick juicy white turkey meat, mashed potatoes, fruit salad, candied sweet potatoes, green peas and tiny onions, dressing and cranberry sauce. The coffee cup stayed full and the choices of desert from pumpkin pie to assorted cheese cakes help to fill the little white take out box for lunch today. We had a relaxed dinner, not a dish to pick up, or clean, lots of good conversation and a water with lemon toast to our missing families. We agreed that with age comes wisdom . . . the wisdom to recognize that our hard working holiday cooking days are over for the most part and know that our grown children and grand children have traditions to fulfill which we taught them. Weather does not always permit them the luxury of a long trip filled with delays and problems as they try to get 'home' to hold to tradition . . . but . . . sometimes it is better they stay put, safe and content to fulfill their own duties as hosts to holiday friends and family. Do I like it? No, but, and there is always a but, I am content to reach the age of reason when I take time to relax and let my children take over the reigns. and go about creating traditions of their own. My telephone calls were the high light of my day with a few surprises from friends too. My neighbor came to collect her mince pie and brought me a box of left overs from her family dinner. I have much to look forward to today, a new coined 'black Friday' to rush out in the middle of the night to shop. You may be out there but not me, I am sitting here in my cozy home waiting for my coffee to be ready and figure out if I want to eat some of that left over turkey or be good and wait for lunch time. It is tempting. I am going back to the old ways and bake some wine cakes and cranberry breads . . . by the way, don't use crazens as it spoils the batter, use the real cranberries and enjoy. . . need the recipe, just say so. It is time to decorate! It is time to get your list ready! It is time to get ready for a bright and beautiful Christmas which will be here before we know it. One of my favorite holidays....how about you?
So today, exercise, walk around a lot and keep in mind that there are lot of folks hurting this year so don't be shy, donate to the food bank, drop an extra coat or jacket in a waiting box. Check out the trees with the cards that have the name and age of someone who will truly bless you for being generous and caring. It is just that time of year. A time of sharing and caring. So now let's get ready for the celebration of Christ's birthday, light a candle in celebration of the real reason for celebrating Christmas. It is not the expense of a gift that counts, but the thought behind it. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment